Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Fishers of men...


I went fishin' with my dad a weekend ago in Ely, which is one interesting town if I do say so, especially the $4.99 breakfast special at the Hotel Nevada. Craig the limo driver (yes, they have a limo) was nice enough to tell us where we could try & catch the Pike of all time, which we did catch on video as the boat next to us hooked him, wrestled him into a net that was half his size, and screamed as he broke through and got away!
I know, I know, another fish story.....but this 20+ pound Pike is on my dad's now broken video camera...I know, sounds like another fish story, but it's true....in time you will see the video to prove it. The fish below is not the one we saw, but another one I was sent in an email, which gets me to the subject line of this post. I reminded my dad that even though we didn't catch any big fish (we got one each in three days of trying), that God calls us to be fishers of men, and we did make some friends (the guys who lost the big fish that we videotaped). And we had fun with our buddies Mike & George.
I've decided that though I like fishing, I'll probably never land a record breaking fish. But I will do my best to be attractive to the people God has placed in my circle of influence that, like this dumb catfish, can't help but be attracted to something that's colorful & shiny & floats. I think Christians can do a much better job than this red basketball if we just put our minds & hearts into it instead of blasting the world around us and retreating into our bunkers. I wouldn't mind catching a record # of new believers by doing something to attract them to Jesus.
Earl

1 Comments:

Blogger SeƱor H said...

True dat. And thats also why it's called fishing and not catching. The bulk of the job is to draw the fish in. Tomorrow my dad and I are going after the legendary Golden Trout. I'm stoked!

8:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home